30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with Catalina

If you're using Catalina, and have a T2 Security chip on your Mac, then Catalina (10.15) requires SIP to be disabled first. Read this thread for more information.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Mojave does not support booting from RAID volumes
Are there any hardware RAID based solutions for booting from a Mirror volume on Mojave?

I work in video production, with clients sitting in the room with me all day on really tight deadlines, so the lack of ability to boot off a mirrored volume can be catastrophic (SoftRAID has already saved my butt in this regard on 2 occasions in the past 2 years). Of course I can boot from a cloned volume, but that means I'd be working with stale data on the boot volume, which is less than ideal.
(09-10-2018, 09:00 AM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: With the release of 10.14 Mojave, users can no longer startup from RAID volumes. This includes any SoftRAID volume and Apple RAID volumes.

There is no workaround for this, and we do not expect there to be a solution going forward.

We had several discussions with Apple to see if they would re-enable booting in the future, but the chances are slim to zero.

Prepare to migrate your startup volumes to Apple standard volumes before attempting to install Mojave.

CCC Restores Apple RAID seen as non-RAID and in About this Mac just no seen.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

If CCC can make a Apple RAID bootable, great. SoftRAID cannot, as Apple does not allow non Apple drivers to startup any longer. I believe I tested this in earlier Mojave builds and it could not startup. Maybe something changed.

I think you are saying it starts up, but the storage volume pane does not show it?
(09-10-2018, 09:00 AM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: With the release of 10.14 Mojave, users can no longer startup from RAID volumes. This includes any SoftRAID volume and Apple RAID volumes.

There is no workaround for this, and we do not expect there to be a solution going forward.

We had several discussions with Apple to see if they would re-enable booting in the future, but the chances are slim to zero.

Prepare to migrate your startup volumes to Apple standard volumes before attempting to install Mojave.

I had a half-formed thought about this, having tried the trick of booting from an 'ordinary' disk and having my user folder on a separate external SoftRAID volume. This works OK, but seems to have hidden horrors - for example, if you tell Time Machine to back up the boot disk, it mutters that the user folder is somewhere else, and **silently** doesn't back it up. (You get to discover this when your RAID dies - luckily it was RAID 5 and a new disk fixed the problem. But...)

So - the half-formed thought: Is there some automatable way of creating a SoftRAID volume in which one RAID volume and N (N= number of disks involved, or less) independent bootable volumes are created. The automation is to keep these as small as possible, with all the data+apps residing on the RAID volume, through some cunning 'aliasing' on the independent volumes.

Example - I want a mirror RAID with two disks. The SoftRAID volume creator makes three volumes - two identical ones to as ordinary boot able drives, one big RAID volume. The user uses CCC or equivalent to clone her current boot drive (here assumed to include all apps, users data etc) to the new RAID. When completed, she goes back to the SoftRAID app and asks it to clone to the bootable drives. SoftRAID 'clones' the minimal bootable system from the RAID to the two independent volumes, with aliases/soft links/whatever works to the stuff on the RAID volume.

Now tell your Mac to boot from one of the independent volumes and you should feel like you've booted from a RAID volume. All apps and data are RAID'ed. You have two independent identical minimal bootable drives for some protection/recovery if one drive or the other commits suicide.

Like I said - half-formed thought. Please ignore if totally ridiculous - but if there's a germ of a workable idea there please make it happen (as soon as the APFS stuff is up and flying). I **really** want to be able to boot from a softRAID disk. Else I'm stuck with expensive RAID enclosures...
The fundamental principal is the partition map on a disk dictates what driver controls/manages that disk.
You can not have two drivers controlling the same disk.

So when a disk is in SoftRAID disk format, then the SoftRAID driver controls it and all volumes on the disk. So, if Apple says no third party startup disks, there is no way around it.

Users do set their user environment on SoftRAID volumes, which works.
(08-08-2019, 10:40 AM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: The fundamental principal is the partition map on a disk dictates what driver controls/manages that disk.
You can not have two drivers controlling the same disk.

So when a disk is in SoftRAID disk format, then the SoftRAID driver controls it and all volumes on the disk. So, if Apple says no third party startup disks, there is no way around it.

Users do set their user environment on SoftRAID volumes, which works.

:-(

Glad I protected myself with the "half-formed-thought" descriptor.

Thanks for replying.
For those of us booting off a SoftRAID volume presently:

I take it the only way forward is to convert the boot volume to AppleRAID? Is the only way to do that to format and restore from a backup?

Looking to upgrade from Yosemite due to growing incompatibilities.

Thanks
Apple does not support booting from Apple RAID either.
You may be able to get it to work, but you cannot install security updates or other updates.

This is a problem that is not going away, as far as I know.
That's OK, I can update using an external then sync back if that's the only problem.
That trick works 100% with High Sierra.
With Mojave, it does not work with SoftRAID
WIth Apple's RAID it sometimes works.
With Catalina, it won't work with either.