30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Using SoftRAID with new SSD
Hello,

I just came across your software and can't find a specific answer to my main question:

Right now I am running the application on a HHD in my Mac Pro 5.1 with a RAID5 configuration.

I will soon update my HDD to an SSD for my operating system.

Is it better to clone the HDD with Carbon Copy Cloner to make sure, SoftRAID recognizes the created RAID5? Or can I simply boot from the SSD and mount?! the previously created RAID?

On your FAQ you only describe the procedures with one serial number for two Macs:

If you wish to move a single SoftRAID volume between 2 or more computers—so it is only ever attached to one Mac at a time—you can use a single serial number. Simply enter the serial number on every Mac which will be using SoftRAID. When you want to move the SoftRAID volume from one Mac to another, eject the volume, unplug the disks used for the volume and restart your Mac. Restarting your Mac releases the serial number from the Mac which was using it so another Mac can start using that same serial number.
All data about a SoftRAID volume is on the disks. So it is no problem to either clone your boot volume, or to use a clean install and run SoftRAID to update the driver. (A limited SoftRAID driver version is installed with your OS X install.)
(08-06-2018, 12:16 AM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: All data about a SoftRAID volume is on the disks. So it is no problem to either clone your boot volume, or to use a clean install and run SoftRAID to update the driver. (A limited SoftRAID driver version is installed with your OS X install.)

Oh nice, that sounds really good.
Thank you for the quick and helpful response!