30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Disk failure predicted. Remove disk says remove different disk.
I am running Softraid XT 5.6.7 on High Sierra 10.13.5.

I have an OWC Thunderbay with 4 x 5TB disks. I have created 3 x 5TB Volumes on the RAID 5 array.

Now, a little over 2 years since setting up the RAID I have got my first disk problem, which was expected at some point, so I am working through the process.

I have a message that says 'disk failure predicted' on one of the four disks. I have run validate on all three volumes, which all say 'degraded - needs rebuilding'.

Here is the problem...

When I flash the blinking light on the disk that says 'disk failure predicted', the disk on the far right side flashes. When I click on any of the volumes and select 'Remove disk', I have a choice of one disk only to remove. When I blink the light on THAT disk, it is a different disk...the one second from the right.

Which disk should I remove? I have a certified 5TB ready to install.
Perhaps your volume is out of sync.

1. Make sure your volume is MOUNTED
2. Make sure you are backed up.
3. If the volume is out of sync, then perhaps the directory is damaged, preventing the volume from rebuilding.
Does the predicted to fail disk show reallocated sectors? (a disk error is not necessarily enough to replace a disk but a reallocated sector is.)
(07-22-2018, 03:42 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: Perhaps your volume is out of sync.

1. Make sure your volume is MOUNTED
2. Make sure you are backed up.
3. If the volume is out of sync, then perhaps the directory is damaged, preventing the volume from rebuilding.
Does the predicted to fail disk show reallocated sectors? (a disk error is not necessarily enough to replace a disk but a reallocated sector is.)

1. Yes, the 3 volumes are mounted.

2. I am backed up.

3. Yes. Now that you mention it, I see that one of the disks indicates 'out of sync'. This is the only disk that is listed when I select 'Remove Disk', and as mentioned, it is not the same disk that shows 'disk failure predicted'.

4. The predicted to fail disk indicates "reallocated sectors 0 - unreliable sectors 16'.
Here is what to do:
"rebuild" the volume.
If you can not rebuild it, (failure message, or it does not start) let me know.
You can also validate all the volumes, so they are all in sync.

Once you have cleared the out of sync issue, you can remove any disk and can remove the disk with unreliable sectors.

FYI: Not all disks with this flag are failing. I recommend using "certify disk", and see if that status changes from "unreliable" to "reallocated", when the disk is actually in a failure mode, or if the disk can now read the sector and clears that status.
(07-22-2018, 04:27 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: Here is what to do:
"rebuild" the volume.
If you can not rebuild it, (failure message, or it does not start) let me know.
You can also validate all the volumes, so they are all in sync.

Once you have cleared the out of sync issue, you can remove any disk and can remove the disk with unreliable sectors.

FYI: Not all disks with this flag are failing. I recommend using "certify disk", and see if that status changes from "unreliable" to "reallocated", when the disk is actually in a failure mode, or if the disk can now read the sector and clears that status.

Hi,

I can rebuild only one of my 3 volumes (it was quite quick to rebuild) and it no longer says 'degraded'.

However the other two volumes hang when I select 'Rebuild', and just show 'rebuilding', indefinitely, with no indication of any progress. I need to reboot to clear that 'rebuilding' message.

If it helps, I have attached the messages I get after a reboot, plus a screen shot of the detail in the SoftRaid XT program.

Hope you can steer me forward through this...

Cheers,
Steve.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Do either of those volumes mount with an OS X warning that "this volume is damaged..."?

That could be why it is not rebuilding.

Do you have Disk Warrior to repair the directories?
No, the only MacOS warnings I get are the ones I showed you in the attached screenshot.

I do not own a licence for Disk Warrior, no. I do have Speed Tools Utilities, which came bundled with the ThunderBay.
SpeedTools Utilities has two options that may help - 'Scan and repair bad sectors' and 'Verify and Repair Volume'.

Would running either of those be helpful?
Note: Can't see my previous reply yet, but if I said *Smart* Tools Utilities, I meant to say SpeedTools Utilities, by Intech Software Corporation.
No, they would not be useful.

Try this:
disable auto rebuilds.

Restart. Try to rebuild (start it manually) the third volume. Then only one would be out of sync. We can work on that. I am guessing it is a volume directory issue, though.