30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Sharing & Permissions show First Owner Fetching...
Currently I'm upgrading from SoftRAID 4.5.4 on a MacPro4.1 to SoftRAID 5.6.7 on a MacPro 5.1 and I'm updating my 3-disk data mirrors.

I took a test volume from SoftRAID4(MacPro4.1) and installed it on the MacPro5.1 - __same user name__ on both machines. [Full disclosure: I used a read only disk that hung on a read - so I considered it failed but only months old & 200 hours. I mounted the disk on the MacPro5.1, converted it to a mirror(degraded) and changed the name of the volume in the finder before I discovered the permissions question.]

Q#1 I was surprised that SoftRAID5 didn't say something like "Need to update the disk driver to use this disk" - is this new behavior?

Q#2 I was surprised when the Get Info window for the volume showed Sharing & Permissions first owner as "Fetching..." and this was true for all the stored folders & files.

A google search suggests opening a terminal window and entering
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -seed -r -f -v -domain local -domain user -domain system

What do you suggest?
Disk Drivers are in the system folder, not on disks. You already updated the driver. Only if SoftRAID changes the partition map format is such a notice required.

You can try your googled result. Probably the spotlight index was damaged.

SoftRAID is not involved inside the volume (file systems)