30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Upgrade to 10.13.5
Hello

I'm using SoftRAID on StartUp volume. Today I want to upgrade macOS to latest version 10.13.5 but I got error in attached screenshot.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

-- Davor

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

This is a "feature" where Apple is restricting bootability to only disks that are controlled by the Apple driver. They have extended this "feature" to all OS X upgrades now.

So you need to do similar steps to how you made your SoftRAID volume bootable:

CarbonCopy Cloner (or SuperDuper) your existing volume to an external Apple volume.
Startup from that volume and upgrade
Clone back to your SoftRAID volume.

Unfortunately, unless Apple changes this, these steps will be required for every OS X update and upgrade, so keep that external handy and update it regularly.
Quote:Unfortunately, unless Apple changes this, these steps will be required for every OS X update and upgrade, so keep that external handy and update it regularly.

It's a pain. What about the upcoming macOS Mojave release? I guess Apple even locked down 10.14. It's a good reason to stay on Mac Sierra for now.
Mohave is preventing any booting from RAID volumes. (or SoftRAID non RAID volumes)

Prepare for a future where your boot volume is not protected in real time.