30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Hello There, Guest! Register
RAID 5 Unreliable Sectors...cannot make backup!
Hi there,

Just got the message "4 Unreliable Sectors". I want to certify the disk, but I want to backup everything first. My raid setup is unmounted so I can't make a backup.
How can this be?

Thank you,
Joost
The volume directory may be damaged. Disk Warrior is the best tool to fix damage to a directory.

generally Disk Utility "First Aid", is kind of useless.
(05-24-2018, 12:16 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: The volume directory may be damaged. Disk Warrior is the best tool to fix damage to a directory.

generally Disk Utility "First Aid", is kind of useless.

Hi, I've managed to make a backup. I've certified the disk. But it still has 4 unreliable sectors. Is it safe to use the disk again because the sectors are not reallocated?
If you performed a "certify disk", with 3 passes, and the disk still show unreliable sectors, I would replace it. While "unreliable sectors" is a transient state, those sectors should be redefined as reliable or reallocated during the certify process. (they are called unreliable as they require a retry to read data from them)