30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

RAID 5 Unreliable Sectors...cannot make backup!
Hi there,

Just got the message "4 Unreliable Sectors". I want to certify the disk, but I want to backup everything first. My raid setup is unmounted so I can't make a backup.
How can this be?

Thank you,
Joost
The volume directory may be damaged. Disk Warrior is the best tool to fix damage to a directory.

generally Disk Utility "First Aid", is kind of useless.
(05-24-2018, 12:16 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: The volume directory may be damaged. Disk Warrior is the best tool to fix damage to a directory.

generally Disk Utility "First Aid", is kind of useless.

Hi, I've managed to make a backup. I've certified the disk. But it still has 4 unreliable sectors. Is it safe to use the disk again because the sectors are not reallocated?
If you performed a "certify disk", with 3 passes, and the disk still show unreliable sectors, I would replace it. While "unreliable sectors" is a transient state, those sectors should be redefined as reliable or reallocated during the certify process. (they are called unreliable as they require a retry to read data from them)