30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Disk Initialize Error
Just completed 56 hours of certifying 8 drives in 2 brand new Thunderbay 4s. Certification went fine with no errors reported. Went to initialize the drives, however, and got 4 separate errors for 4 drives:

"The disk initialize command for disk disk2, SATA bus 0, id 0 (Thunderbolt) hung while reading (offset 0, i/o block size = 512). This disk should be replaced immediately."

I then got the following errors on one of the drives:

"May 13 07:30:46 - SoftRAID Application: The disk initialize command for disk disk8, SATA bus 0, id 7 (Thunderbolt) encountered a read error (offset 0, i/o block size = 512). This disk should be replaced immediately."

"May 13 07:30:46 - SoftRAID Application: The disk initialize command for disk disk8, SATA bus 0, id 7 (Thunderbolt) failed because this disk is no longer connected to your Mac (error number = 26)."

I checked the cables and they're fine – securely plugged in on both ends. So I quit SoftRAID, turned off the Thunderbay 4s then restarted them. Restarted SoftRAID, and now everything seems to be fine. I was able to initialize the disks with errors and created a RAID 1+0 volume without incident.

So what am I to make of this? I want to believe this is a glitch and that the drives are fine, but the whole point of SoftRAID is reliable error reporting, right? So do I proceed with these drives, or do I really have to replace 4 of 8 brand new 6TB drives?
Restart and try again. There are many things that can cause this, it is unlikely to be a disk issue. Note that the problem is at sector 0, i.e, the beginning of the drive, so it means the disks, or bus, or something hung.

See if it works after a restart.
(05-13-2018, 12:50 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: Restart and try again. There are many things that can cause this, it is unlikely to be a disk issue. Note that the problem is at sector 0, i.e, the beginning of the drive, so it means the disks, or bus, or something hung.

See if it works after a restart.

Thanks. That makes sense. I hadn't noticed the sector. Everything seems fine after restart – all drives are properly initialized, and I'm currently validating a new RAID 1+0 volume with no errors so far.

Could this have been caused by some sort of power fluctuation? Would a power conditioner help prevent it from recurring?