30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Convert from Raid 0 to Raid 5 Question
I want to convert my current RAID 0 to a Raid 5, but I have data on my current RAID 0......can I do this without loosing my data? or should I copy it all to a different drive, then covert erase my raid, then convert to raid 5 and then copy back my data?

What is the best and most efficient means to accomplish this?

thanks,
Johnny
You can convert a RAID 0 to a RAID 4 (by adding a 5th disk), but only if it has sector size of 16K, which I doubt.

So yes, you need to backup, create a new volume, then restore.
(04-13-2018, 02:21 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: You can convert a RAID 0 to a RAID 4 (by adding a 5th disk), but only if it has sector size of 16K, which I doubt.

So yes, you need to backup, create a new volume, then restore.

What are these steps? i see no place on the support on how to do this....the videos are great...but worked for my first time setup....so what do i do now?

I want RAID 5 not 4.

thanks,
JF
....and i only have 4 slots for disks - using OWC thunderdrive enclosure...so no 5th disk....i have data backed up...so not an issue...just need to know what the steps are now to make a RAID 5 from this RAID 0....
...what i have done so are is this:

1. Disable Safeguards
2. Begin certify on each of the disks
....one disk would not certify of the 4 disks...

?? I have NO IDEA what i'm doing here...or should i stop all these operations and do something else?
Did a disk fail certify?
Disable Safeguard on your volume
Delete the volume.
Create a new volume.

If you also certify, when that is complete, you need to initialize the disks before they can be used to create a volume.