30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Convert RAID mirror to SoftRAID not working, no errors
I have 2 USB attached drives configured as Apple RAID mirror. I installed SoftRAID with the intention of converting to SoftRAID mirror. However when I try convert it appears to do the conversion, but it doesn't seem to change anything. Drive icons still appear with the Apple icon and diskutil shows the array as it was before.
I don't get any errors, these are the messages displayed after I uninstalled rebooted and reinstalled Lite version 5.6.4, entered licence key and converted volume:

Jan 27 12:29:59 - SoftRAID Monitor: SoftRAID Lite Monitor loaded - demo mode, version 5.6.4.
Jan 27 12:30:22 - SoftRAID Monitor: SoftRAID Lite Monitor loaded, version 5.6.4.
Jan 27 12:30:41 - SoftRAID Application: Converting the AppleRAID mirror (RAID 1) volume "Tosh6TBRAID" (disk7) to a SoftRAID mirror (RAID 1) volume.

If I reboot I still have the option to convert to SoftRAID and the same happens.

The array is degraded and currently rebuilding (will be a few days to complete, one reason to install SoftRAID) - could that be the reason? I would have expected an error message if this was the case.

I also tried enabling USB smart, restarted and the option is still disabled and re-enabling asks to reboot again....

Not sure what else to try.
You need to complete the rebuild, we cannot convert an Apple RAID that is out of sync, as there is no clear way to identify the primary.

This would be a bug that SoftRAID is not giving you a dialog box for this. I will report it.
(01-27-2018, 10:11 AM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: You need to complete the rebuild, we cannot convert an Apple RAID that is out of sync, as there is no clear way to identify the primary.

This would be a bug that SoftRAID is not giving you a dialog box for this. I will report it.

Thanks - yes it worked once the rebuild was (finally) complete.

I'm still unable to get the "Enable SMART on USB disks" option to enable - if I enable and Save, it requests authentication and says I need to restart for it to become active. However after the reboot the option is unchecked and none of my USB devices show Smart status. I've tried this half a dozen times.

Regards,

Stephen
This looks like a bug introduced when we moved to the High Sierra build environment. Expect another update that will address this issue (and other enhancements) in the not far future.