30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Hello There, Guest! Register
How to upgrade a SoftRAID startup volume to High Sierra
Thanks. This is what i've done and needed to do, because of a security update... thanks again.
What about if I want to do a clean, "nuke and pave" install of High Sierra? Does this mean that I actually have to install a clean version of Sierra to my boot drive first, then continue with the steps you delineated to "upgrade" to High Sierra?
[/quote]

What you should do is install High Sierra onto an Apple formatted disk.
After you have it set up, then clone it to your SoftRAID volume and run SoftRAID (one time) to "rebuild boot cache" on the volume from the volumes menu.

Keep a clone copy of your volume up to date, you will need it again.

As of 10.13.6, you need to clone back for each Security update. It is a new "feature" of OS X.
(12-03-2018, 03:45 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: As of 10.13.6, you need to clone back for each Security update. It is a new "feature" of OS X.

OMG. Just upgraded to High Sierra yesterday. Today proceed with "Security Update" to 10.13.6 and it looks like even those Security Updates need to be done on an Apple formatted volume on other drive as reboot now enters to the No Entry sign on the screen.
Unfortunately, yes.

Apple decided not to allow starting up from SoftRAID volumes.

We are researching this, but no easy answer has been found.