Hello There, Guest! Register

RaidSonic IcyBox External 4-Bay JBOD Enclosure not compatible with SoftRAID?
Recently I purchased one of these USB3 4-Bay enclosures.

I configured 4 previously Certified* (using SoftRAID) 2TB drives in a RAID 1+0 configuration.
In less than 24 hours SoftRAID started showing read errors on all 4 drives. Disk verification shows the following multiple errors on all four drives:

'Feb 4 14:56:28 - SoftRAID Application: The verify disk command for disk disk10, SN: DB1234567895AA, USB3 bus 0, id 0, lun 0 encountered a read error (offset 98,306,097,152, i/o block size = 1,048,576). This disk should be replaced immediately.'

'Feb 4 14:56:28 - SoftRAID Application: The verify disk command for disk disk11, SN: DB1234567895AA, USB3 bus 0, id 0 failed because this disk has unreadable sectors. It should be replaced immediately (error number = 66). '

(obviously the offset is different on the four drives)

After removing the drives form the enclosure and re-certifying the drives using the drive dock all drives appear OK.

Is this a sign that this enclosure is incompatible with SoftRAID or should I test the drives in the enclosure without SoftRAID?

*Certification was done using a Sharkoon USB 3 dual drive dock.
To us, this is a sign your enclosure is unreliable and will incur data corruption over time.

I would guess if you certified the disks inside the enclosure (at the same time), while it would take a while, would show a similar problem.
I also notice the USB enclosure is passing an artifical serial number for the disk, unless you changed the text. Each Serial number should be unique
(02-15-2017, 11:40 AM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: I also notice the USB enclosure is passing an artifical serial number for the disk, unless you changed the text. Each Serial number should be unique

Thanks for the replies. I'll return the device.