Hello There, Guest! Register

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

SoftRaid V. Smart Utility
I am curious about a difference I see between SoftRAID SMART reporting and from Smart Utility by Voltains Software. I have a few drives, all internally installed SSDs, that Smart Utility claims are failing, but SoftRAID sees now problem and the drives pass SoftRAID's Certify process. For example, on the machine I am using now, I have an AngelBird SSD which Smart Utility claims has 4 removed bad sectors and 2 reallocated sectors. SoftRAID reports no problems with 100% media life remaining. This drive passed a Certify about 3 months ago (and Smart Utility made the same claim then). I have similar reports with some Crucial SSD drives. I trust SoftRaid more, but I am curious about the difference.

Attached Files
.zip   Jeff Bagby 2017-01-28 01.50.02.sr_supt.zip (Size: 524.74 KB / Downloads: 0)
For the most part, SoftRAID will agree with SMART Utility. SSD's are very different than disk drives, and we know of no way to predict their failure yet. Media life is an indicator of age, but in a recent industry conference on SSD technology, there were no answers to this question.

SSD's reallocate sectors all the time, like disk drives used to do 30 years ago. However, disk drives no longer are healthy when they reallocate sectors, the technology has changed dramatically.

SSD's need to be treated differently than disk drives with respect to reallocated sectors. I would guess that SMART Utility already does so. I do not know why it is showing reallocated sector counts as useful on your SSD drives.