Hello There, Guest! Register

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Rebuilding Mirrored RAID
(02-03-2017, 10:34 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: With the three disks connected,then you can "remove missing secondary" and it will set the counter to three, and when one is disconnected, will show missing secondary disk, as a normal indicator. (you have a disk off line)

Rebuilds require the volume to be mounted. If it is not rebuild quickly, change optimization to Workstation, instead of Digital Audio/video. that will greatly speed up rebuilds.

Thanks again for your response.

OK so I have the 3 disks connected and have issued the "remove missing disks" (several times actually) but the "missing secondary disk" is still showing. At what point will that go? Does it remain until the rebuild is finished?

Yes the volume is mounted. In my "ignorance" I left the optimization to what it defaulted to, and that is showing under "Volume optimize for > Server"
Should I leave it as that or change it as you have suggested to "Workstation"?

Ken
If you have used the command "remove missing secondary disks", the counter should be set to the number of disks connected at that moment.

quit/relaunch SoftRAID, do this again and see what you get. If you still show a "missing secondary disk" message, then send us a support file to the support email address.

Optimization can be changed at any time, it is normally set to workstation. Server means that rebuilding is given top priority and the volume will rebuild as fast as possible, even if user responsiveness is a little slow as a result. Workstation rebuilds about 50% speed, so user response is essentially normal.
(02-06-2017, 05:52 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: If you have used the command "remove missing secondary disks", the counter should be set to the number of disks connected at that moment.

quit/relaunch SoftRAID, do this again and see what you get. If you still show a "missing secondary disk" message, then send us a support file to the support email address.

Optimization can be changed at any time, it is normally set to workstation. Server means that rebuilding is given top priority and the volume will rebuild as fast as possible, even if user responsiveness is a little slow as a result. Workstation rebuilds about 50% speed, so user response is essentially normal.

I will send the report.
With the volume selected the only options available in the Volume drop-down menu are: New, Unmount, Enable Safeguard, and Optimize for ...
I have attached a screenshot in case it may of any help.
Thanks for the explanation about Optimization, I'll leave it as Server, in that case.

Ken

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

the other options are not available during a rebuild. We are looking at your support file.
I just want to do the right thing and close off this thread for those who might come after and wonder what happened.
First I would like to say that the response from SoftRAID went "above and beyond". Thanks everyone who helped (you know who you are).
In the end it remained an unresolved mystery and the solution was to "nuke" the volume and start afresh with a new Mirrored RAID.

Ken
thanks for the feedback!