30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

SoftRAID5.5 Kernel Panics
I learned the hard way about mixed RAM. I installed 16GB of Crucial ram—the brand most recommended for Macs—and subsequently got kernel panics multiple times a day every day, for weeks, which I thought were related to SoftRaid. Once I removed the original 8GB of Apple ram it's been smooth sailing.
(06-18-2017, 08:23 AM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: Macs often have problems with mixed RAM, it is best these days to have 100% the same brand in them. So the solution (assuming you just added a module(s), is to replace the other one with the same RAM.

OWC support knows more about this than I do, however.

I know for sure it's not a RAM issue for me. I had a 2011 iMac that was experiencing increasing kernel panics over the past few weeks and once Apple couldn't determine any particular hardware or malware issues, suggested I consider a new machine as they suspected that years of heavy use (3D rendering/animation/etc.) meant the logic board could be dying.

As such, I just purchased a brand new MacBook Pro (15" 5k Retina / 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7 / 16 GB RAM / Radeon Pro 560) and I've already experienced two kernel panics with my OWC Thunderbay 4 Mini SSD RAID. My report looks very similar to the other posters on this thread and specifically calls out the SoftRAID.

And now that I'm trying to troubleshoot the same problem on two different machines, I've realized the panics only started happening after updating the software to 5.6.1 awhile back.

Any help would be great. I plan to email support, but wanted to bump this thread as well.
We will take a look. BTW: the reason it "calls out" SoftRAID, is the panic is involved with activity on disks controlled by SoftRAID, so we log/report it, regardless of cause. Finding cause can be tricky, but we are happy to investigate. Send us a tech support file.
(08-22-2017, 10:36 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: We will take a look. BTW: the reason it "calls out" SoftRAID, is the panic is involved with activity on disks controlled by SoftRAID, so we log/report it, regardless of cause. Finding cause can be tricky, but we are happy to investigate. Send us a tech support file.

Hmm. That's interesting. The computer was in sleep mode when I left and when I returned had restarted. The only disks being controlled by SoftRAID are the 4 SSD drives in the Thunderbay, so I wonder if there's a default OS Sierra setting that's reading/writing to those disks even in sleep?

I sent over the support report via email. Thanks for checking it out.
Unfortunately I keep getting the same SoftRAID 5.6.3 backtrace issue. Yes, it's completely random. In most cases it's happening when I am away from my computer. My MacBook has been running idle for 1-2 hours. Than the screen went black (Sleepmode is disabled) and OS X didn't respond. As soon as I've pulled out the Thunderbolt cable for the OWC ThunderBay mini (RAID 4 with SSD), the system rebooted.

I’ve noticed this behaviour a couple of times. What can I do? Apple's Panic report always reports SoftRAID 5.6.3 backtrace issues. There no Third-Party drivers involved. I've opened a support ticket with Tech report.
I've been having the sleep reboots described in the last few comments for the past few weeks. Now I cannot actually connect my ThunderBay 4 which is managed by soft raid without a hard freeze and shut down. This is happening over a thunderbolt to usb-c dongle and the drive works fine when connected via thunderbolt to a 2015 rmbp. Other usb-c devices work and the OWC Mercury 2-bay thunderbolt drive also connects over the usb-c dongle. This leads me to the conclusion that this problem is most likely caused by SoftRAID. Unfortunately the panic reports are all listing "No MCA data found" so I can't look at any specific crash data.

Thoughts?
We will have a beta (debug) version available for looking at these issues, if you contact us and ask for the debug version. Then if you get a panic, between the crash log and the debug log, we may be able to figure out what is triggering the panics, whether SoftRAID, or some OS component.
Finally I was able to narrow down the issue. After crazy long investigation it turned out that a process called "hasplmd" causes random Kernel Panics. Crashing occurred completely random when the MacBook has been idle for 1-2 hours.

hasplmd is a rights management toolkit and it is related to X-Rite's i1Profiler screen calibration hardware. hasplmd is used within AVID products as well. I wasn't aware that i1Profiler also ships with a additional software Dongle from Aladdin. There's a known issue at X-Rite.com page. [url]https://www.xrite.com/service-support/aladdin_hasp_dongle_errors[/url]. Updating this piece of junk dongle software didn't resolve the issue. You'll find endless log entries every 11 seconds in system.log like this: Feb 9 00:01:06 MacBook com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.aladdin.aksusbd): Please switch away from OnDemand to KeepAlive.

Solution: I have manually uninstalled X-Ray i1 Profiler including ALL Aladdin leftovers. Here's what help me to get rid of this annoying software. BE SURE TO CREATE A BACKUP FIRST. DELETE AT YOUR OWN RISK!

1. Execute the Uninstall i1Profiler AppleScript
2. Kill "hasplmd" process in Activity Monitor
3. Open System Preferences > Security > Firewall > Remove hasplmd from connection list
4: Move the following files to the trash:

[code]/Volumes/System/Library/Frameworks/XRiteDevice.framework
/Volumes/System/private/var/db/receipts/com.xrite.i1profiler.com.xrite.hasp.drivers.pkg.bom
/Volumes/System/private/var/db/receipts/com.xrite.i1profiler.com.xrite.hasp.drivers.pkg.plist
/Volumes/System/private/var/db/receipts/com.xrite.i1profiler.i1Profiler.pkg.bom
/Volumes/System/private/var/db/receipts/com.xrite.i1profiler.i1Profiler.pkg.plist
/Volumes/System/private/var/db/receipts/com.xrite.i1profiler.i1ProfilerTray.pkg.bom
/Volumes/System/private/var/db/receipts/com.xrite.i1profiler.i1ProfilerTray.pkg.plist
/Volumes/System/private/var/db/receipts/com.xrite.i1profiler.installHasp.pkg.bom
/Volumes/System/private/var/db/receipts/com.xrite.i1profiler.installHasp.pkg.plist
/Volumes/System/private/var/db/receipts/com.xrite.i1profiler.postflight.pkg.bom
/Volumes/System/private/var/db/receipts/com.xrite.i1profiler.postflight.pkg.plist
/Volumes/System/private/var/db/receipts/com.xrite.i1profiler.preflight.pkg.bom
/Volumes/System/private/var/db/receipts/com.xrite.i1profiler.preflight.pkg.plist
/Volumes/System/private/var/db/receipts/com.xrite.i1profiler.user-files.pkg.bom
/Volumes/System/private/var/db/receipts/com.xrite.i1profiler.user-files.pkg.plist
/Volumes/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.xrite.hasp.drivers.plist
/Volumes/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.aladdin.aksusbd.plist
/Volumes/System/Users/tom/Library/Preferences/com.xrite.device.xrdd.plist
/Volumes/System/Users/tom/Library/Application%20Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist/
/Volumes/System/Users/tom/Library/Application%20Support/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.ApplicationRecentDocuments/com.xrite.xrd.softwareupdate.sfl
/Volumes/System/Users/tom/Library/Application%20Support/com.apple.sharedfilelist/com.apple.LSSharedFileList.ApplicationRecentDocuments/com.x-rite.i1profiler.sfl
/Volumes/System/private/var/db/BootCaches/FFFFEEEE-DDDD-CCCC-BBBB-AAAA000000F8/app.com.x-rite.i1Profiler.playlist
/Volumes/System/Users/tom/Library/WebKit/Databases/___IndexedDB/com.x-rite.i1Profiler
/Volumes/System/Users/tom/Library/Cookies/com.x-rite.i1Profiler.binarycookies
/Volumes/System/Library/Application%20Support/X-Rite
/Volumes/System/private/etc/hasplm
/Volumes/System/Library/Application%20Support/CrashReporter/hasplmd_*.plist
/Volumes/System/usr/libexec/hasplmd
/Volumes/System/Library/Application%20Support/HASP
[/code]

I have also published a article about it: [url]https://medium.com/@howdytom/hasplmd-prevents-macos-sierra-from-going-to-sleep-and-causes-random-kernel-panics-e96763d8612a[/url]

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks for the work debugging this issue. we will note it in case this comes up again, which it probably well.