30-Day Free Trial!

How to install the SoftRAID driver with macOS Catalina (10.5.1)

If you're using Catalina, and have a T2 Security chip on your Mac, then Catalina (10.15) requires Startup System Security to be disabled (set to none). Read this thread for more information.Read this thread for more information.

Hello There, Guest! Register
SoftRaid as RAIS: steps?
Hello,

I'm evaluating SoftRaid following a suggestion on https://www.precursor.ca/precursor/resources/rais/.

Basically, I would like to use SoftRaid to mirror a 'mac mini' System disk (running OS server) to another 'mac mini' in Target mode.

After researching through your website, forums, If I understand correctly, I must:
1) Install and configure the 'production' mac mini OS (and Services, apps (SoftRaid), etc.)
2) Clone the configured OS to an external HD
3) Boot from the external HD and set up both the 'production' and 'mirror' (backup, in-target-mode) mac mini HDs as RAID 1 members
4) Clone the OS on the external HD back to the RAID volume
5) reboot from the Raid volume

Or is it possible to do this without an initial 'to external HD clone, clone back' step?

Thanks for any insight.

PS: I am quite aware of the recent macOS 'won't boot from RAID' Mojave issues: I'm using two 2014 mac minis running High Sierra.
To convert to a SoftRAID volume, you must startup from another volume. Same to "Convert" to Mirror. That is the actual limitation.

Note that this ends with 10.13.6, as you can no longer startup from SoftRAID volumes, Apple is preventing it.
Thank you for your reply.

Okay, the way is clear for me now... would you (softRaid) like to be informed of the results, or are you familiar with this procedure already?
We understand this process well enough. While it is no longer valid for Catalina, lots of users used to maintain a RAIS.