30-Day Free Trial!

How to install the SoftRAID driver with macOS Catalina (10.5.1)

If you're using Catalina, and have a T2 Security chip on your Mac, then Catalina (10.15) requires Startup System Security to be disabled (set to none). Read this thread for more information.Read this thread for more information.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Fastest SoftRaid level for a Time Machine volume?
I have two OWC ThunderBay 4 RAID systems. One with 4 3TB HDDs for actual work, media and documents, another with 4 4TB HDDs as a Time Machine backup.

I've been using RAID 5 for everything. Is there a RAID level that would be faster for a Time Machine volume? I backup all of my volumes to the Time Machine — from my internal startup SSD as well as my Media (music and movies, big files) and my Work volume which has hundreds of thousands of small files and then thousands of large PSD files at least 1GB each.

I can deal with the storage hit if I switch to RAID 1 or 1+0, but I don't know if the speed increase — if any— will be worth it to bother to switch my Time Machine from RAID 5 to RAID 1 or RAID 1+0.

Any recommendations? Thanks!
RAID 0 is the fastest RAID, as there is no redundancy (any drive fails, all data is lost).

Changing RAID 5 to RAID 0 would give you a speed increase of about 33% with 4 drives.
(10-15-2019, 04:19 AM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: RAID 0 is the fastest RAID, as there is no redundancy (any drive fails, all data is lost).

Changing RAID 5 to RAID 0 would give you a speed increase of about 33% with 4 drives.

Thanks for the quick reply, greatly appreciated.

So RAID 1 or 1+0 wouldn't be any faster than RAID 5? Then I'll probably stick with RAID 5.

The no redundancy things makes me nervous. Any one of those 4 drives could fail and then I lose my entire Time Machine -- months of backups.

Thanks again.
RAID 1+0 is significantly slower than RAID 5.

So stay where you are. ;-)
If you split the raid across the two enclosures wouldn't that give you a speed boost you need? Since you'd be utilizing multiple thunderbolt interfaces at the same time?

It sounds like a similar situation I had with my Mac Pro and the 4M2 drives. Since each thunderbolt port and 4m2 blade is limited in speed, I setup 3 4M2 drives and setup a raid partition across each 4m2 using a single blade in each one to create a single drive.

Hopefully the attached image explains it better. With this setup I'm able to get a read/write of 2500mb/s. The image is outdated a bit though as I have an additional raid partition in there as well.

And I should be able to squeeze some more speed if I get more blades. Wink

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

FYI: 2800 is the max you can get over Thunderbolt 3.
If your computer has 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports (two buses), then you could get faster.

We have lots of users with 2 Thunderblades, that get close to 5,000GB/s. The Thunderblades are like the Express, except totally silent.