30-Day Free Trial!

How to install the SoftRAID driver with macOS Catalina (10.5.1)

If you're using Catalina, and have a T2 Security chip on your Mac, then Catalina (10.15) requires Startup System Security to be disabled (set to none). Read this thread for more information.Read this thread for more information.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Softraid XT Version vs. kextstat version
After installing Catalina, I was having issues with 5.7.5 causing a kernel panic when my iMac Pro would put the displays to sleep. Considering the kernel changes between OS versions, that was completely understandable. I just turned off my ThunderBay 4 and the problem went away, and I figured you would have an update shortly.

I'm finally back from a trip, and have gotten 5.8 installed via disabling SIP, rebooting, installing, re-enabling SIP, rebooting, etc. etc. Everything seems to be working correctly, and Softraid XT reports that it is version 5.8, and that the driver is 5.8. (It also shows the "can't run because of a bug under Catalina with SIP enabled" when I try to run it under Catalina with SIP turned back on.)

All seems to be OK, but I wanted to check to see what was really going on with a kextstat command, and here's what I'm seeing:

Robs-iMac-Pro:~ robw$ csrutil status
System Integrity Protection status: enabled.
Robs-iMac-Pro:~ robw$ kextstat | grep -i raid
134 0 0xffffff7f8137b000 0x3b000 0x3b000 com.softraid.driver.SoftRAID (5.6.8) 84388616-7C03-32BE-8AF7-82AA956DC057 <22 6 5 3>
Robs-iMac-Pro:~ robw$ _

The reported version, 5.6.8, has me a little worried. Is this normal? Am I really running an old copy of the driver? I tried the "SIP off, reboot, kextcache -I /, reboot, SIP on, reboot" sequence, but nothing changed.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

-Rob
Yes, Catalina is still loading the basic driver that we license Apple for OS X compatibility.

We are working on a better solution, but so far, also disable System Startup Security (set to none) should do it.

Apple locked down the OS to create a base set of loaded extensions and a late bug in this process prevents SoftRAID's "updated" driver from being loaded.
For the record, I've left the machine running overnight after the update, and the kernel panic problem seems to have disappeared. I'll keep watching here for any updates. Thanks for the reply.