30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Using resize to expand volume
Hi there!

I bought a Thunderbay 6 with 6x10T drives. Created one 30TB RAID1+0 volume and copied over 14TB of data.

Now I'm realizing I should have created two volumes: one smaller one at the front of the disk for my critical audio/video work, and a larger one for the remainder of the disk.

I have backups, so I COULD erase everything and start over, but my backup drives are USB2, so it would take a while (14TB of data used).

Here's what I thought might be better:

1) Resize my single volume to 15TB (SoftRAID XT says this is possible).
2) Create a new 15TB volume (which would be at the end of the disk)
3) Copy all my data from the first volume to the new one
4) Erase the original partition
5) Create a new 2TB partition (this would be placed first on the physical disks ?)
6) Resize the second partition from 15TB to 28TB to "fill in" the hole

I'm fairly certain steps 1-5 will work, but what about #6 ? If there is an unused 13TB hole in my partition map, can I resize my final volume into that space ? Or would my only option be to create a new volume in that space ?

Thanks for any advice!

-James

PS I will also do some speed tests to see if the volume location really matters. I like the idea of having a top performance volume for critical work, but maybe it's not worth the trouble at this point. Thanks again!
Step 6 will not work, as it would require moving data backwards.

Here is a way it "could" work, whether worth the hassle is up to you.

6. Create a 13TB volume and copy all the data to it.
7. Delete the last 15TB volume.
8. Resize the 13TB volume to 28TB.
Thank you for the clarification! It would be a nice feature if volumes could expand both forwards and backwards into free space, but I understand this is not currently possible. Your suggestion is a solid workaround. Thanks again!

-James
PS I'd be interested if you could explain what happens when SoftRAID shrinks a volume ?

I've read elsewhere that no data is relocated, but this resize from 30TB to 15TB has been working for over 2 hours now... maybe data IS being relocated ? i.e. is the volume essentially being defragmented to pack the data into a 15TB volume ? If not, I'm curious what IS going on ?

Thanks!

-James
We do use an OS X call that moves data (back), for resizing which can take time, it is out of our control.

What we do not do is try to relocate the start of partitions and then move the data.

Relocating partitions is not something we intend to implement, a lot of work and user risk, for little benefit in the long run, especially as we have to support such features. We try to avoid bloatware.