30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Terramaster D4-300 Enclosure board fail
I have had a Terramaster d4-300 for four years and it worked perfectly. Recently I bought two extra disks to expand their capacity and went from having a Mirror x2 4TB to a RAID5 x4 4TB. Returning the data to TerraMaster the transfer failed twice. In both cases I started the process from the beginning. I wrote to support and they told me that it seemed like a board problem, but that I could use the Terramaster as a simple enclosure without RAID functionalities. And I ended up in SoftRaid. So, because of your expertise I would like to ask you a question. Do you think it can be reliable to use TerraMaster in this way? Or can there be some kind of risk because the board is not working properly?

Best,
Depending on their design, JBOD mode should bypass the RAID circuitry, so it should be OK.
One test is occasionally "validate" the volume. After the first time you do this, there should not be any updated blocks. If there are, there is data corruption somewhere.