30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Fail predicted for MacIntosh HD
I received the following SMART data alert.

Aug 27 01:05:36 - SoftRAID Monitor: The disk at disk5, SATA bus, 1.82 TB is predicted to fail. This disk is 20 - 60 times more likely to fail in the next 2 - 6 months than a normal disk. This prediction is based on SMART data retrieved from the disk. This disk should be replaced soon. SMART Attributes used for failure prediction are: ID 5 (Reallocated SectorCount) = 0, ID 196 (Reallocated Event Count) = 0, ID 197 (Reallocation Pending Sector Count) = 8, ID 198 (Uncorrectable Sector Count) = 8.

This drive is the rotational component of my Fusion Drive.
I run "softraidtool disk all getsmartdata" and receive :
SMART data for disk5:
disk5, SN: Z8E0LCWT, SATA bus 0, id 1
Total Bytes: 1.82 TB (2,000,398,934,016)
No SMART attribute data available for this disk.
(All disks that can provide smart data to softraid pass)

I look at disk utility on this drive and get
S.M.A.R.T. status Verified
(all drives that can provide smart data to disk utility come back verified)

Am I missing something or is this an erroneous message.
Thanks,
Steve
Looks tl me the disk has started the path to failure, reallocated sectors (pending in your case) are statistically related to imminent failure.
(08-27-2019, 03:41 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: Looks tl me the disk has started the path to failure, reallocated sectors (pending in your case) are statistically related to imminent failure.

I get that. I'll rephrase and add attachment. Its my Main disk on my fusion drive that is not managed by Softraid. When I bring up the Softraid monitor it does not show a smart status and does not show any realloacted sectors. So either the monitor is incorrect or the log is incorrect. Its an AFPS drive.
Thanks,
Steve

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

You need to look in the SoftRAID log, the predicted failure may not make it to the disk tile. What to look for is a comment with the predicted failure that shows how many reallocated sectors, pending reallocations, or unreliable sectors there are. If any are non zero, then the disk has started to fail and SoftRAID is giving you advance notice.