30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Kernel panic on drive power off
Hello,

I am running a RAID 5 in an OWC enclosure (4x 4TB). I can mount/unmount the drive just fine, but when I switch off power to the drive, I get a system kernel panic. See video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6Ci8P3zAa5qkM5ki9.

High Sierra 10.13.6
SoftRAID 5.7.5

Thanks.
Are you sure the 5.7.5 driver is installed? Run 5.7.5 and look if the driver version in the lower right corner says 5.7.5. This is a problem that can happen with the "bundled" version of the driver that comes with OS X, but should not happen with any "release" version. Let us know.
(08-19-2019, 10:41 AM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: Are you sure the 5.7.5 driver is installed? Run 5.7.5 and look if the driver version in the lower right corner says 5.7.5. This is a problem that can happen with the "bundled" version of the driver that comes with OS X, but should not happen with any "release" version. Let us know.

Yes. Just looked. The driver is 5.7.5.
(08-19-2019, 10:41 AM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: Are you sure the 5.7.5 driver is installed? Run 5.7.5 and look if the driver version in the lower right corner says 5.7.5. This is a problem that can happen with the "bundled" version of the driver that comes with OS X, but should not happen with any "release" version. Let us know.

I just checked and it says Driver 5.7.5.
I just checked, and I am running Driver 5.7.5.
Send a SoftRAID Tech support file to support at Softraid.com

We need to investigate this off line. Too difficult for the forum.