30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Adding Drives to Array
Is there any RAID setup that will allow you to add more drives thus increasing space as you need it that doesn't involve backing up and wiping out to create a new one?

As my setup grows larger with more and more data, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to have to move data to another drive as I setup a new array as the size of drives aren't big enough to hold all of it.
Only RAID 1. (Which does not increase capacity)
Or replacing disks one by one, then resize volume.

Sorry.
(07-25-2019, 09:30 AM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: Only RAID 1. (Which does not increase capacity)
Or replacing disks one by one, then resize volume.

Sorry.

To be sure that I understand correctly. I run a 2x3x12TB RAID10 configuration. Are you saying that in a few years I could replace the 12TB with, say, 16TB drives and increase the volume size from 36 to 48TB without having to move the data back and forth?
Yes you could.

It is tedious, as you need to replace each of the 6 drives, one at a time, but it can be done. At the end you would "resize volume" to use the extra capacity.