30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Gradually increase drive capacity
Currently, I have 2 x 5TB drives in my mirror set and I want to make sure the following is possible:-

1. add a 3rd 10TB drive to the set (I know only 5TB will be used)
2. later add a 4th 10TB drive to the set (again only 5TB will be used)
3. much later (especially after the drives are up-to-date) remove the 1st and 2nd drives from the set
5. extend the drive capacity to 10TB whilst keeping the files untouched
6. make the removed drives into a RAID0 10TB drive and add it to the set

Does this make sense and is it possible?
You can do this, but slightly differently.

RAID 1+0 is a sum of two RAID 0 volumes.
So you could take the second 10TB drives and create a RAID 0
Then use Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper, etc to clone from the Mirror to the RAID 0 volume.
Then you can convert to RAID 1+0, with the other two 10TB drives.
I don't fully understand your reply. I think I may have made things confusing. Could we leave out point 6 and talk about just the first 5 points. Plus I only have SoftRAID Lite.

I want to convert my current 5TB mirror into a 10TB mirror without having to buy 2 drives up front. My thinking is to add the new 10TB drive to the mirror set which also increases reliability whilst saving up for the next drive.

When I ready for the next 10TB to be added to the mirror, let it sync. Then when things have settled in, remove the 2 5TB drives.

What needs to happen to make SoftRAID use all the space or does this happen automatically?
Yes you can do this. What you do when you end up replacing both disks is use the command in SoftRAID "resize volume" and then you can expand the volume to 10TB.

This cannot be done until all (both in your case) disks are replaced with larger ones.