30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with Catalina

If you're using Catalina, and have a T2 Security chip on your Mac, then Catalina (10.15) requires SIP to be disabled first. Read this thread for more information.

Hello There, Guest! Register
SoftRAID 5.7.5 driver troubles with WD30EFRX?
I have a OWC Thunderbay 4 attached to a Mac Mini (Late 2015) with High Sierra that has been working flawlessly for 3 years with 4 WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 drives in RAID 5 configuration. Lats month I got a message that one of the disks was about to fail. So I ordered 2 new WD30EFRX-68EUZN0. I tried both as replacement disk but BOTH immediately failed with the same error "Disk or cable are defective and need to be replaced". I tried on another OWC Thunderbay 4 that is known to be working, same story. I tried the TB4 connected to my iMac and the drives work just fine. I tried the TB4 connected to the same Mini after uninstalling SoftRAID and everything worked fine.

I have to conclude that there is a problem with the SoftRAID driver WITH THOSE WD30EFRX-68EUZN0. Please note that the ones that work fine are WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 manufactured in 2015 while the ones that are having troubles are manufactured in 2018.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Did you try disabling SMART on the drives? (either disk tile, or by disabling SMART checks)

Another test is disabling the SMART USB drivers as an independent test.