30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with Catalina

If you're using Catalina, and have a T2 Security chip on your Mac, then Catalina (10.15) requires SIP to be disabled first. Read this thread for more information.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Certifying a Hardware RAID
Hey there,

I verified an 8TB Glyph Studio RAID drive and errors came back which is beginning to confirm my suspicions that the hard drive is beginning to become unreliable (good thing it's backed up). I now want to certify it; I've certified many hard drives thru SoftRAID - works like a charm. I never certified a RAID before. When I click on the Volume in SoftRAID, it shows up as one hard drive in the left column. If I proceed to certify, are there any issues I should be aware of? Or should I not do that at all?

After certification, I'm still deciding on whether I want to keep it as a RAID0 (I think that's what it is now because that how it seems to function) or make it a RAID5. Please advise. Much appreciated.

Thanks for your support,
Naheem

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

The hardware RAID publishes a LUN to the system, so you cannot see the disks. You can certify it, but you won't know which disk fails if it fails.

If you can set your box to JBOD mode, then certify each disk, you are better off.