30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with Catalina

If you're using Catalina, and have a T2 Security chip on your Mac, then Catalina (10.15) requires SIP to be disabled first. Read this thread for more information.

Hello There, Guest! Register
What’s the best way to format drives
Hello,

I’ve been using OWC’s Mercury Elite Pro RAID and now Thunderbay enclosures (used in RAID 5 configuration) for a number of years. In the past, I’ve successfully upgraded my hard drives and with the older hard drives, I’ve been able to individually mount it and just use Mac’s Disk Utility to erase/reformat the drive so I can use it as standalone drive again.

For some reason, with my 4 WD 8TB RED drives that were previously used in a Thunderbay 4 with Thunderbolt 2, I’m unable to reformat the drives for standalone use. Before upgrading the hard drives, I’ve been using the latest SoftRAID software (5.7.5).

I even brought the drives to computer repair shop and after working on it for nearly a week, they have told me that they’ve only been able to format the drives in which 1.5TB of the 8TB is available for use.

Is there a correct way to reformat the drives when it was used in a RAID 5 configuration?

Thanks,
JJ
Yes, because of bugs in Disk Utility, the best way is simply "zero disk", 100 sectors, which wipes the partition map and Disk Utility will be able to erase them.
(06-19-2019, 07:34 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: Yes, because of bugs in Disk Utility, the best way is simply "zero disk", 100 sectors, which wipes the partition map and Disk Utility will be able to erase them.

To clarify, is "zero disk" & 100 sectors in Disk Utility? Currently using MacOS Mojave 10.14.5.

Or is what you're suggesting is using Terminal via diskutil secureErase

Sorry for the noob follow up here if it is.

Thanks!
JJ
Use SoftRAID to zero a disk. It wipes all partition maps, then Disk Utility can erase it. I do not think Apple will ever fix this bug.