30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with Catalina

If you're using Catalina, and have a T2 Security chip on your Mac, then Catalina (10.15) requires SIP to be disabled first. Read this thread for more information.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Unable to Resize Volume After Replacing Drives
I’ve been running a RAID 5 setup for about five years, and SoftRAID has performed flawlessly since being installed (fantastic software!). Recently, one of my drives began to fail, and I decided to take this opportunity to both proactively replace all the drives in the array and increase overall capacity. The system is running macOS 10.13.1 and SoftRAID 5.7.5. Two volumes were located on eight 6TB WD Reds:

1. ~2TB volume used for Time Machine backups
2. ~40TB volume used for Media storage

I began certifying new 10TB drives and using them to replace the older drives. During one of the rebuilds, a second drive failed and the Time Machine volume was unable to rebuild successfully (not a big deal). I continued to replace drives without further issue, and my plan is to restore the TM volume from a backup at some point. I deleted the corrupted TM volume and attempted to resize the Media volume, but that’s where things have stalled:

If I process the resize through the GUI, the log indicates that the command completed successfully, but there is no change to size visible in either macOS or the SoftRAID application. If I process through the command line, the following error is returned:

An error occurred journaling the file system: The underlying task reported failure on exit (-69860)

The SoftRAID log reports error number = 42.

I’ve attempted running the command multiple times, as well as repairing the volume using Disk Warrior, but neither has had any effect. It’s probably something simple, like a journaling setting, but I figured I’d yield to the experts. What should I attempt next? Let me know if you’d like me to send in a support file.

As an aside, the max size shown for the expansion is 68TB (from eight 10TB drives). Is this because the 2TB from the Time Machine volume cannot be “recovered” without erasing/recreating the array? Thanks in advance for your help!
Send a SoftRAID tech support file to info at SoftRAID dot com. We can take a look and make a suggestion or see what is going on.