30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Hello There, Guest! Register
ThunderBay 4 RAID 5 volume unable to mount for repair
Hi,

I'm completely out of ideas. I was working on cataloging a mass of files a couple of nights ago and when I came back to work on it the following morning the volume would not mount or rebuild. One of the disks in the array is reading out-of-sync in the configuration software.

So, I performed a full verification and the were no bad sectors and the disk in question is healthy. All the disks have a link to the RAID 5 volume, the volume shows the file system and the space used and available - see attached screenshot.

To this point I've tried various mounting options from Disk Utility, Safe Boot + Disk Util, and the few options available in SoftRAID. Now I'm at a loss of what to do next. I saw mention on another thread here that DiskWarrior can be helpful for repairing damaged volumes but I'd really rather not pay $120 if it can be avoided.

Any ideas on how to get this volume to mount and repair the degraded volume? I'm I just fooling myself into thinking there's a solution without dropping more money? Thanks in advance.

Here's a quick list of the specs that might be useful:
• Tested on both Mac Pro 2013 & Macbook Pro Mid-2012
• Mac OS X 10.12.6
• OWC Thunderbay 4 setup as RAID 5
• 4 Toshiba MD04ACA400 4TB Drives
• RAID 5 Configured using SoftRAID XT 5.7.5

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Here is how you should approach this.
Do you see the capacity and "Available" in the volumes tile? (yes)
That shows the directory is probably intact.
That tells you DIsk Warrior can almost certainly repair the directory.

Yes, I would go that route. Directories do get degraded over time, finder performance is slower, but "suddenly" they won't mount. Often this point of no return is after an OS X update, security update, or driver update.

Your case certainly appears to be a case for Disk Warrior.
(06-12-2019, 02:20 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: Here is how you should approach this.
Do you see the capacity and "Available" in the volumes tile? (yes)
That shows the directory is probably intact.
That tells you DIsk Warrior can almost certainly repair the directory.

Yes, I would go that route. Directories do get degraded over time, finder performance is slower, but "suddenly" they won't mount. Often this point of no return is after an OS X update, security update, or driver update.

Your case certainly appears to be a case for Disk Warrior.

Thanks for the reply! I'm on the case and will let you know if there are any issues.
Diskwarrior won't fix my Thunderbay 4 issue. Mine doesn't even show as 'degraded' it just won't mount. Diskwarrior sees it and says it cannot fix it.

Everything was fine until yesterday! How do I recover??
Try restarting (shutdown) and try again.

HFS has some issues with large volumes, but generally Disk Warrior can fix most issues like this.

We think the problem is SSD's that shut down before the system can write all directory data to disk.

If you need to recover, rather than repair, both Disk Drill and R-Studio can recover. Both have trial modes so you can see if it will work and recover one file at a time (for testing) before purchasing.