30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Certify/Mojave issue
Setting up a new Thunderbay 6 with OSX 10.14.5 and Softraid XT

I'm just certifying my (new) drives and I'm getting the frequent "internal part of Softraid failed" messages, which I see has been reported by others. (Very annoying when a very long certification is extended by stops when it's not watched - esp overnight.)

In case it's helpful to your engineers, I also experienced this:

When I plugged another TB3 device (IOGear TB3 to eSATA adapter) into the daisy chain port on the Thunderbay. Softraid XT *immediately* reported that all 5 of the drives in process of being certified had errors and should be replaced! I'm pretty sure that's not possibly correct, and it must be a software issue, but...

(The adapter worked fine, btw)

I removed the adapter, rebooted and restarted the certification, which is continuing, and showing "no errors" on all drives.

Thanks.
I agree that the application quitting is very annoying. We have not yet found root cause on that.

When you connected the device, the bus probably reset. Certify uses an OS X script, and anything that disrupts the bus could cause these errors to be reports. Don't worry about it.