30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with Catalina

If you're using Catalina, and have a T2 Security chip on your Mac, then Catalina (10.15) requires SIP to be disabled first. Read this thread for more information.

Hello There, Guest! Register
ThunderBay OWC SSD boot drive kernel panic
I decided to reengineer my 4-SSD RAID 4 array into a 3-SSD RAID 4 array, using the free SSD as a boot drive. Using SoftRAID to certify and initialize, everything is fine, but when I try to then format it through Disk Utility, I get a kernel panic (on the live system as well as booted into local or Internet macOS Recovery).

Am I missing something or is this more of Apple's dysfunction? Currently my boot drive is a standalone external LaCie Thunderbolt 2 drive and that's been fine.

-dp
My guess is the disk is in SoftRAID format and you are using Disk Utility to erase it.

This is a Disk Utility bug.

Zero disk in SoftRAID to wipe the partition map. then Disk Utility can erase it.
(01-15-2019, 02:37 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: My guess is the disk is in SoftRAID format and you are using Disk Utility to erase it.

This is a Disk Utility bug.

Zero disk in SoftRAID to wipe the partition map. then Disk Utility can erase it.

That was exactly it. Thanks for the clue!