30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Hello There, Guest! Register
"internal error" message.. A LOT
Hi,

I am trying out SoftRAID with the intent to buy it when the trial period is up. Seems to be a great product. HOWEVER it seems to semi-randomly pop up a dialog box that says it had an "internal error" and I need to quit and restart SoftRAID. This happens *a lot*. It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing. Sometimes it happens pretty soon after starting, other times it may just be sitting there for a while monitoring a disk rebuild then it happens. It's a little disconcerting as there's no specific set of steps or events to recreate, nothing seems to be a particular cause at least externally. I've seen other references to a similar error with specific conditions but I'm looking to understand if this is a common issue with 5.7 and it WILL be fixed soon or if this behavior is for some reason specific to my set up (either way, the software shouldn't be failing, though).

Thanks
What is happening is the Application is losing contact with the driver. I am presuming you are running 10.14.x, which is where we first saw this issue.

Perhaps it is a security change in 10.14 that impacts an OS X tool we have been using for 10+ years. So far, we do not see what is triggering this, but it only happens on a minority of OS X installs.

We are investigating this, but a fix is not likely to make it into the next SoftRAID release, which is in the next couple days (January 2019).

If you are willing to run a debug version of SoftRAID, contact us off line. We can send you something in about a week.

There is no risk of data loss from this issue, but it is annoying.

And there is no need to contsantly run SoftRAID application, so in the meantime, just quit SoftRAID when not using the app.