The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 202 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 7.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 202 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 735 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1066 build_postbit
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 202 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 7.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function
File Line Function

30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Kernel Panic initializing SSD
Hello, I have a new OWC Thunderbay6 with (6) HGST 8TB enterprise drives and (1) Crucial NVME.2 P1 SSD.

Mac Pro 2013 (trash can - 8 core 3GHz, 64GB RAM)
Mac OS 10.13.6

Drives and SSD all installed in Thunderbay.

Thunderbay connected to Mac Pro via Apple TB2 to TB3 adapter and short Apple thunderbolt cable. (TB bus 1 port 3)

HGST Drives initialized and volume created successfully in SoftRAID XT 5.7.2
RAID5 for video

I then noted that SoftRAID XT does not allow for APFS, which I would like to use for the SSD which is intended to be used as a non-RAID scratch volume. Since no APFS in SoftRAID, I launched Disk Utility, selected the SSD, and setup for initialize as APFS (no encrypt, no case sensitive).

As soon as I start initialize on the SSD, the Mac panics. Logs below. Tried twice. Panic. Panic.

Then I went back to SoftRAID, and init the SSD as HFS+ in SoftRAID rather than trying to use Disk Utility. That worked fine. It's mounted and reading/writing ok.

Any thoughts on why this is happening?

Will SoftRAID allow me to format APFS in future? (I don't think it's really necessary but...just wondering)

Is there something unique about NVME SSD in OWC Thunderbay that makes it incompatible with Apple SSD driver?

Thank you.
You encountered an OS X bug that causes the kernel panic. We have no control over Disk Utility.

We will be supporting APFS in SoftRAID version 6. We are working on it, but it is a major project.

Note at at the present time, APFS volumes are significanty slower than HFS. On SSD volumes, it is about 30%. On HDD's about 50%. So you may want to stick with HFS for now, if this is a scratch/editing volume.

SoftRAID is expected in the spring.
(01-06-2019, 04:53 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: You encountered an OS X bug that causes the kernel panic. We have no control over Disk Utility.

Am I correct in inferring from your reply that this is a known issue to you? Is there something specific to my configuration that causes this, ie, the OWC Thunderbay6, or the OS version, or SoftRAID version, etc?

The panic log shows this:

0xffffffa7570cbfa0 : 0xffffff800141e9c6
Kernel Extensions in backtrace:
com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily(2.1)[F27A8A2A-6662-3608-83BD-415037509E01]@0xffffff7f820e4000->0xffffff7f8210bfff
com.softraid.driver.SoftRAID(5.7.2)[5124F244-5B73-3CD5-B793-49DD45DA10F9]@0xffffff7f82114000->0xffffff7f8214ffff
dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily(2.1)[F27A8A2A-6662-3608-83BD-415037509E01]@0xffffff7f820e4000

Since SoftRAID is mentioned in the backtrace after attempting an initialize in Disk Utility, I assumed SoftRAID is at the very least involved in the cause of the kernel panic. Can you elaborate further as to what is happening here?

Quote:We will be supporting APFS in SoftRAID version 6. We are working on it, but it is a major project. Note at at the present time, APFS volumes are significanty slower than HFS. On SSD volumes, it is about 30%. On HDD's about 50%. So you may want to stick with HFS for now, if this is a scratch/editing volume.

I understand. My primary interest in using APFS was for experimentation, and a volume dedicated to scratch data best serves that.

Thank you,
Bryan
I do not know of this specific issue, until I test it, but Disk Utility has had several bugs when touching a disk formatted by SoftRAID. All we can do is report them for Apple to fix.

Best is to "Zero disk" with SoftRAID, and see if that avoids the issue. then the disk will appear to be a new, unformatted disk.
Quote:I do not know of this specific issue, until I test it

It's 100% reproducible here.

Quote:Disk Utility has had several bugs when touching a disk formatted by SoftRAID

Just to be clear - this isn't really a "Disk Utility" issue per se, as Disk Utility is really just a GUI, right? The panic is occurring at the kernel level, ie: com.apple.iokit.IOStorageFamily.

When you are reporting these issues to Apple, I'd recommend generating core dumps from the kernel panic and sending those along with the bug report.

[url]https://developer.apple.com/library/archive/technotes/tn2004/tn2118.html[/url]

Quote:Best is to "Zero disk" with SoftRAID, and see if that avoids the issue

For the zero disk workaround, will the first/last 100 option be sufficient or do I have to zero the whole device (which takes a long time)?
100 sectors is enough, just to remove the partition map.

In 10.13.6, DU panics the machine. With 10.14, the erase still fails, but the machine does not panic. However, a restart is required.

If you are on 10.14, it should not panic. With an HDD, Disk Utility just fails. This was the result of the latest bug fix in OS X.

I will investigate this more