30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with Catalina

If you're using Catalina, and have a T2 Security chip on your Mac, then Catalina (10.15) requires SIP to be disabled first. Read this thread for more information.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Display soft raid status in menu bar not showing
(01-13-2019, 08:16 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: When you uninstall the SoftRAID driver, SoftRAID volumes will not mount, but when you run SoftRAID again, they will mount normally
Tried all that no change -

in Terminal the ...kext line reponds with com.apple.quarantine
contact us off line and we will get you the terminal commands to clear this. (support at softraid)

For some reason, OS X has placed your driver into quarantine. We had seen this in 5.7/Mohave, but "fixed" this in 5.7.2.

Apparently there is still something that allows OS X to put the SoftRIAD driver into quarantine. We will have to research this.
I just purchased an OWC ThunderBay 4 RAID5 12TB, with SoftRAID XT. I am running from a fresh copy of SoftRAID 5.7.3, and I am having the same issue with the Monitor not showing in the menu bar.

I ran the two tests in Terminal, and Driver IS in quarantine.

I should also say, that when I first followed the instructions to install the Driver, it was taking 5-10 minutes with just a spinning ball, and tried this several times, using the SoftRAID Easy Setup. Eventually I just had to Force Quit (each time), and tried restarting. It seems to be working. But, I don't believe I'm getting any Monitor functions.

To get the monitor to show (after a restart), I have to run SoftRAID Easy Setup again. It shows until I restart.
To remove the driver components from quarantine, run each command in terminal.

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Library/Extensions/SoftRAID.kext

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Library/Extensions/OWC_SCSI_Device.kext

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Library/Extensions/OWC_SATA_Command.kext

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Library/Extensions/OWC_SCSI_Device_0E.kext

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Library/Extensions/OWC_SMART_Library.plugin

To remove the app, you need to use the same command, then drag 'n drop the application into the terminal window to fill in the path.

restart afterwards. You can run the base xattr command to test if this was successful.
(02-05-2019, 11:32 AM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: To remove the driver components from quarantine, run each command in terminal.

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Library/Extensions/OWC_SCSI_Device_0E.kext

sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Library/Extensions/OWC_SMART_Library.plugin

To remove the app, you need to use the same command, then drag 'n drop the application into the terminal window to fill in the path.

restart afterwards. You can run the base xattr command to test if this was successful.

OK, I did all that. Restarted. Monitor did not show.
Ran SoftRAID Easy Setup.app again, and the Monitor appeared in the Menu Bar.
Restarted again, but still no Monitor, with a restart.

Ran the two Quarantine checks, and both the APP and Driver are OUT of quarantine.

Next suggestion?

I'm hesitant to begin using my ThunderBay 4 until I get this figured out, since it's all controlled by the software.

Note: Of the antivirus apps that were mentioned earlier, the only one I have is Malwarebytes. I also tried:

Removing ALL evidence of SoftRAID 5.7.3,
Uninstalling Malwarebytes,
Restarted twice.
Downloaded a fresh copy of 5.7.3, installed in my Applications folder (on my MBP internal SSD),
Ran Easy Setup,
Re-entered my software serial number,
Checked in Terminal: Now, SoftRAID App was in Quarantine, and NOT the driver (??)
Ran the quarantine removal commands again to remove app from Quarantine;
Restarted;
Monitor gone again.
Ran Easy Set-up again -- Monitor back;
Restarted;
Monitor gone again.
Checked Terminal, both App and Driver are NOT in quarantine.

This is frustrating.
(02-05-2019, 11:32 AM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: To remove the driver components from quarantine, run each command in terminal.

I also tried:

Removing ALL evidence of SoftRAID 5.7.3,
Uninstalling Malwarebytes,
Restarted twice.
Downloaded a fresh copy of 5.7.3, installed in my Applications folder (on my MBP internal SSD),
Ran Easy Setup,
Re-entered my software serial number,
Checked in Terminal: Now, SoftRAID App was in Quarantine, and NOT the driver (??)
Ran the quarantine removal commands again to remove app from Quarantine;
Restarted;
Monitor gone again.
Ran Easy Set-up again -- Monitor back;
Restarted;
Monitor gone again.
Checked Terminal, both App and Driver are NOT in quarantine.

This is frustrating.
Quarantine clearly still has some kinks in OS X. Its possible that we can prevent this problem when Easy Setup is used. I have to research this.

The Monitor problem is independent. It is apparently not loading until the SoftRAID app is running. A clean install should have resolved this.
(02-07-2019, 12:09 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: Quarantine clearly still has some kinks in OS X. Its possible that we can prevent this problem when Easy Setup is used. I have to research this.

The Monitor problem is independent. It is apparently not loading until the SoftRAID app is running. A clean install should have resolved this.

To wrap this up:

The problem for me, I believe, ended up being a SECOND copy of the SoftRAID software was installed in a different folder. (Try searching for SoftRAID in the Finder if you are having similar issues.

I trashed that second copy, then also ran the "Uninstall SoftRAID XT", from within the SoftRAID XT program (Utilities Menu, in SoftRAID). Restarted, loaded a fresh copy of the SoftRAID XT folder into the Applications Folder, then only used the SoftRAID XT App (NOT the Easy Setup app), to load a new copy of the Driver, and set up all the security parameters that Mojave (MacOS) wanted to verify (2 or 3 questions for access by the program that need to be "OK'd").

All has been resolved, and working correctly. I double checked in Terminal, and both the App and Driver are out of Quarantine.