The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 202 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 7.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 202 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 735 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1066 build_postbit
Warning [2] count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable - Line: 202 - File: inc/class_parser.php PHP 7.2.18 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_parser.php 202 errorHandler->error
/inc/functions_post.php 735 postParser->parse_message
/showthread.php 1066 build_postbit

30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Does SoftRAID support using a Hot Spare with RAID 4/5?
It would seem like a no-brainer to be able to connect/assign a drive that (after certification) is kept in Idle/Standby/Sleep mode, and then used to automatically rebuild redundancy upon notification that a drive is degraded has failed. But I don't see anything like this in the docs?

I know there's options for RAID 10, etc, but the idea is that the warm space *doesn't have* the R/W wear any of the other drives do. To me, it seems a lot better... is there a way to do this?
No we do not have this feature.

the main reason was that in the google study of 100,000 disks, it was discovered that there is no relationship between failure rates of drives which are heavily used vs. Lightly used. So the idea of a warm spare being like "new" is a false assumption. It will have the same failure pattern as a heavily used disk.

We may add this in the future, but we believe a dual redundant (active) drive is better than a warm spare.