30-Day Free Trial!

How to use a SoftRAID startup volume with High Sierra

If you're using High Sierra, and booting up from a SoftRAID volume, you'll need to follow the steps given in this forum post, since the macOS High Sierra Installer does not recognize SoftRAID volumes as valid startup volumes.

Hello There, Guest! Register
Error during certify - "An internal part of the SoftRAID application has stopped..."
Hi forum,

I am using SoftRAID v5.7 with a new AKiTio Thunder3 Quad X enclosure with 4 x new 8TB WD NAS RED prices (WD80EFAX), with a brand new iMac 18,2, 2017 model, default Apple config (3.4GHz, 1TB Fusion, 8GB RAM), fresh Mojave install.

I have attempted multiple times to certify these disks over the course of this week but am hitting two crucial problems:

1. Each day I am receiving this error message:

"An internal part of the SoftRAID application has stopped functioning properly. Please quit SoftRAID and relaunch it."

I am able to restart SoftRAID and resume the certify, but it has me a little concerned.

2. The major issue - nearing the end of each certification pass, ALL disks fail certification at the same time with error number 66.

Screenshots of error message and SoftRAID log are attached.

My troubleshooting notes:
- I think the chances of all 4 disks having verify errors at the same time is pretty slim?
- On the weekend, I successfully certified the same four disks on the internal SATA drive bays on a Mac Pro 4,1 though only 1 pass - but presumably this should prove the disks are ok?
- I have tried connecting the Akitio enclosure via its second Thunderbolt 3 port and also connecting to the second Thunderbolt 3 port iMac but I am still receiving these errors.

Your help is really appreciated!! I have sunk a lot of money and time into the brand new iMac, Akitio thunder3 Quad X and 4 x 8TB drives!!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

We started seeing the first error after 5.7 was out, we are working on reproducing and fixing this for the next update to SoftRAID.

I am sure your disks are OK. I am not sure what is causing the disks to "hang" on writes. What you have to watch for is if this is caused by the disks ejecting from the bus or another issue. Until you start using them, however, there is no way to tell.

Go ahead and put them into use.
(11-07-2018, 08:33 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: We started seeing the first error after 5.7 was out, we are working on reproducing and fixing this for the next update to SoftRAID.

Is there any progress on this? I've seen this error 3x now on a RAID5 rebuild. None of the involved drives have any errors on them according to SMART. Is there something else wrong?

Thanks,

B
We do not have a fix yet. It was introduced with Mojave.

We are still trying to understand the root cause.

Note: SoftRAID does not need to be running during a rebuild!

This should really only affect certify/verify disks, or validate volume, where the app needs to be open. these can be run via the command line, however.

Its not an excuse for not fixing this, but we do not yet have a solution.
(02-04-2019, 05:02 PM)SoftRAID Support Wrote: We do not have a fix yet. It was introduced with Mojave.

We are still trying to understand the root cause.

Note: SoftRAID does not need to be running during a rebuild!

I understand it doesn't need to be running. But I left it going so I could monitor the multi-day rebuild progress. It was disconcerting when it threw that error...

B
Sorry for the scare. There is no risk of data loss here, the application lost communication with the SoftRAID Monitor. As mentioned, we are still working on this.