SoftRAID Support Forum

Full Version: What data is sent in "Generate report..."?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Can you say what data is collected and sent when selecting "Generate report for Tech Support..." from the Utilities menu?

It asks for an admin password, but the file is only ~600K, so it's not a spindump... In this era of data privacy and breeches it would be nice to know exactly what's there.

OWC's response to this question was, "...this will allow me to see what may be causing your drives to drop so it will give me a log of seeing what drives are dropping..." -- which was somewhat less than satisfying. I can see in ASCII the log of drives dropping, what's in the binary file?

I realize tech support is cranking through tickets, so I thought I'd reach out here in a public forum and try to get something concrete on the record.

Thanks.
It is not a user readable file as it contains code that lets us work with an exact replica of a user's SoftRAID GUI in our systems.

We also capture information such as:
SoftRAID log and preferences
The current System log
The diskutil list output (terminal command)
The 3 most recent kernel panics
The partition map on each disk
The SoftRAID status partition
The volume headers
Terminal output of kextstat (to see what extensions are loaded)

We do not collect System Profiler reports, there is no need for that level of detail.

This is just enough information to be able to diagnose most issues without going back and forth with customers.
The SoftRAID UI tool we have is very clever, as we literally can click on all the disks and volume tiles, just as you see them.
Thanks very much, I appreciate the detail.